Euroregions as a factor of successful international integration in modern conditions
This article focuses on the correlation between the contemporary crisis phenomenon in the Eurozone and some CIS countries, and the existing Euroregions. We attempt to analyze the interdependence of the qualitative aspect of cross-border relations of European countries with their economic sustainability in the context of regional international integration. The theoretical significance of this work lies in the revealed correlation between the efficiency of cross-border Euroregions and the additional resources that can be retrieved in the framework of national economic policy during global recession. The practical component lies in clarifying the conceptual framework for the formation of successful crossborder cooperation in today's Europe. The authors employed the historical-descriptive approach and factual consideration of the cross-border and macro-regional level of interaction between European countries. The main results are as follows. The crisis in several EU countries is associated with a complex of causes that deplete the platform for multilateral cooperation in Europe. To a lesser extent, the crisis has affected the states that are actively involved in cross-border cooperation projects. The formation of European regions is closely related to the industrial development of their regions. The Post-Soviet space requires a redistribution of the overcentralized power. The abundance of Euroregions along the perimeter of certain states may be an indicator of economy's resilience to potential shocks. The provisions set forth in the article contribute to an improvement of the scientific understanding of political regionalistics and take the current understanding of the international system to the level of cross-border relations and institutions creating a system of interrelated elements of macro-regional and national building. The results can be applied in the development of a conceptual and legal framework for the construction of cross-border political formations in the Post-Soviet space, especially, within the Eurasian Economic Community, which coined the concept of «eurasiaregion».
Evrozony [Mezhevich: Sarkozy and Merkel meeting — an attempt to break away from the weak euro zone countries], 2011, RIA Novosti, August 28, available at:http://strategy2020.rian.ru/news/20110817/366127391.html (accessed 01 September 2011).
2. Association of European Border Regions, available at: http://www.aebr.
eu/en/index.php (accessed 01 September 2011).
3. Gutnick, V. P., Klemeshev, А. P. (eds.). 2006, Baltijskij region kak poljus jekonomicheskoj integracii Severo-Zapada Rossijskoj Federacii i Evropejskogo sojuza [Baltic region as a pole of economic integration of the North-West of the Russian Federation and the European Union], Kaliningrad.
4. Kosov, Yu. V. 2009, Osobennosti geopoliticheskih processov v Central'noj
Evrope [Features geopolitical processes in Central Europe], Upravlencheskoe konsul'tirovanie [Management consulting], no. 3, p. 91—97.
5. Zverev, P. B., Toropygin, А. V. and Maryshev, А. А. 2009, Prigranichnoe sotrudnichestvo: teorija i praktika. Politicheskie, pravovye, jekonomicheskie problemy mezhdunarodnogo sotrudnichestva na postsovetskom prostranstve [Cross-border cooperation: theory and practice. Political, legal and economic issues of international cooperation on the post-Soviet space], St. Petersburg.
6. Smith, D. 2008, Reform failures may still kill off the euro, The Sunday Times,25 May.