The development of cooperation between the European Union and Russia on migration issues: from „the „common spaces” to the actual implementation
EU-Russia cooperation has experienced problems in many areas. Nevertheless, cooperation in the field of migration proves to be successful. Through analyzing the EU-Russia migration agenda from the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement (1997) to the Roadmap for the Common Space on Freedom, Security and Justice (2005), the article assesses the main results of its implementation, such as the Readmission and Visa Facilitation agreements. Moreover, it stresses the role of Russia as an agenda-setter of the EU migration agenda in the Eastern Europe.
2. Barbé, E., Costa, O., Herranz, A., Johansson-Nogués, E., Natorski, M., and Sabiote, M. A. 2010, Drawing the neighbours closer… to what? Explaining emerging patterns of policy convergence between the EU and its neighbours, Cooperation
and Conflict, no. 44 (4), p. 378—399.
3. Barroso, J. M. 2010, Statement by the President of the European Commission following the EU-Russia Summit, SPEECH/ 10/ 734, Brussels, 7 December 2010.
4. Coleman, N. 2009, European Readmission Policy: Third Country Interests and Refugee Rights, Leiden, Martinus Nihoff Publishers.
5. Council of the European Union. 1997, Decision of 30 October 1997 on the Conclusion of the Partnership and Cooperation Agreement between the European Communities and its Member States, on the one part, and the Russian Federation, on
the other part, OJ L, no. 327, 28 November 1997.
6. Council of the European Union. 1999, Common strategy of the European Union on Russia, Brussels, 4 June 1999, 1999/414/CFSP, OJ L/157.
7. Council of the European Union. 2003, Regulation 693/2003 establishing a Facilitated Transit Document (FTD), a Facilitated Rail Transit Document (FRTD) and amending the Common Consular Instructions and the Common, DO L 99, 17 April 2003.
8. Council of the European Union. 2007, Council Decision of 19 April 2007 on the conclusion of the Agreement between the European Community and the Russian Federation on the facilitation of issuance of short-stay visas, OJ L, no. 129, 17 of May 2007.
9. Council of the European Union, 2007, Council Decision of 19 April 2007 of the conclusion of the Agreement between the European Community and the Russian Federation on Readmission, OJ L, no. 129, 17 May 2007.
10. Council of the European Union. 2009, Stockholm Programme — An open and secure Europe serving and protecting the citizens, 17024/09, Brussels, 2 December 2009.
11. European Council. 2010, Remarks by Herman Van Rompuy, President of the European Council, at the press conference following the EU-Russia Summit, PCE 301/10, Brussels, 7 December 2010.
12. European Union — Russia Saint Petersburg Summit. 2003, Joint Statement of the EU-Russia Summit. 300th anniversary of St. Petersburg — celebrating three centuries of common European history and culture, Saint Petersburg, 2003.
13. European Union — Russia Moscow Summit. 2005, Road Map for the Common Space on Freedom, Security and Justice, 10th May 2005, available at:http://www.delrus.ec.europa.eu/en/images/pText_pict/494/road%20maps.pdf (accessed 15 March 2010).
14. Haukkala, H. 2010, The EU-Russia Strateguc Partnership: The Logic of Post-sovereignty in International Relations, London, Routledge.
15. Hernández i Sagrera, R. 2010, The EU-Russia readmission-visa facilitation nexus: an exportable model for Eastern Europe?, European Security, no. 19 (4),p. 569—584.
16. Lavenex, S., Schimmelfennig, F. 2009, EU Rules beyond EU borders? Theorizing External Governance in European Politics, Journal of European Public Policy, no. 16 (6), September 2009, p. 791—812.
17. Potemkina, O. 2005, A ’Friendly Schengen Border’ and Illegal Migration:
The Case of the EU and its Direct Neighbourhood. In: DeBardeleben, J. (ed.), Soft or Hard Borders: Managing the Divide in an Enlarged Europe, Aldershot, Ashgate, p. 165—182.
18. Russian Federation. 1999, Russia’s Medium-Term Strategy towards the EU, 1999, available at http://www.delrus.ec.europa.eu/en/p_245.htm (accessed 18 March 2010).
19. Trauner, F., Kruse, I. 2008, EC Visa Facilitation and Readmission Agreements: Implementing a New Security Approach in the Neighbourhood, CEPS Working Document, no. 290, Brussels, Centre for European Policy Studies, April 2008.
20. Schimmelfennig, F. 2009, Europeanization beyond Europe, Living Reviews in European Governance, no. 4 (3).
21. Timmins, G. 2004, Coping with the new Neighbours: The evolutions of European Union policy towards Russia, Perspectives on European Politics and Society, no. 5 (2), p. 357—374.
22. Vahl, M. 2001, Just Good Friends? The EU-Russian ‘Strategic Partnership’ and the Northern Dimension, CEPS Working Documents, no. 166, Brussels, Centre for European Policy Studies.
23. Vink, M. P., Graziano, P. 2007, Europeanization: Challenges of a New Research Agenda, Basingstoke (New York), Palgrave Macmillan.