A unified and harmonised European law and its impact on third countries
Having transferred the title on visas, asylum, immigration and other policies related to free movement of persons from the third pillar into the Treaty on European Community, the Amsterdam Treaty vested legislative power in the European Community in the fields of international civil procedure and private international law. On the basis of this power, the European Community enacted a series of Regulations, which will soon unify both areas of law. Such unification will not only facilitate legal relations within the European Union but also enhance legal relations with third countries.
2. Convention on the law applicable to contractual obligations of 1980, consolidated version, 1998, OJ C, no 27, p. 34.
3. Treaty on European Union, 2010, OJ C, no 83, vol. 53, p. 13.
4. Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, 2010, OJ C, no 83, vol. 53, p. 47.
5. Commission Regulation (EC) N 1020/2000 of 15 May 2000, 2000, OJ L, no 115, p. 20 on customs duty for small flowered roses.
6. Commission Regulation (EEC) N 1677/88 of 15 June 1988, 1988, OJ L, no 150, p. 21, laying down quality standards for cucumber.
7. Commission, A. 2003, More Coherent European Contract Law, An Action Plan. COM, 68 final.
8. Council Regulation (EC) N 1206/2001 of 28 May 2001 on cooperation between the courts of the Member States in the taking of evidence in civil or commercial matters, 2001, OJ L, no 174, p. 1.
9. Council Regulation (EC) N 1346/2000 of 29 May 2000 on insolvency proceedings, 2000, OJ L, no160, p. 1.
10. Council Regulation (EC) N 1347/2000 of 29 May 2000 on jurisdiction and the recognition and enforcement of judgments in matrimonial matters and in matters of parental responsibility for children of both, 2000, OJ L, no160, p. 19.
11. Council Regulation (EC) No 1348/2000 of 29 May 2000 on the service in the Member States of judicial and extrajudicial documents in civil or commercial matters, 2000, OJ L, no160, p. 37.
12. Council Regulation (EC) N 44/2001 of 22 December 2000 on jurisdiction and the recognition and enforcement of judgments in civil and commercial matters, 2000, OJ L, no 12, p. 1.
13. Regulation as last amended by Regulation (EC) No 1791/2006, 2006, OJ L, no 363, p. 1.
14. Regulation (EC) 593/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 June 2008 on the law applicable to contractual obligations (Rome I), 2008, OJ L, no 177, p. 6.
15. Regulation (EC) N 861/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 July 2007 establishing a European Small Claims Procedure, 2007, OJ L, no 199, p. 1.
16. Regulation (EC) N 864/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of July 11, 2007 on the law applicable to non-contractual obligations (Rome II), 2007, OJ L, no 199, p. 40.
17. European Parliament Resolution of 26 May 1989, 1989, OJ, p. 158/400.
18. European Parliament Resolution of 6 May 1994,1994, OJ, p. 205/518.
19. European Parliament Resolution on the approximation of the civil and commercial law of the Member States, 2001, COM, no 398.
20. Green Paper on Conflicts of Laws in Matters Concerning Matrimonial Property Regimes, Including the Question of Jurisdiction and Mutual recognition of 17 July 2006, 2006, COM, 400 final.
21. Green Paper on Succession and Wills of 1 March 2005, 2005, COM, 65 final.
22. Principles of European Contract Law // Commission on European Contract Law, available at: http://frontpage.cbs.dk/law/commission_on_european_contract_law/ (accessed 01 December 2010).
23. Proposal for a Council Regulation Amending Regulation (EC) No 2201/2003 as Regards Jurisdiction and Introducing Rules Concerning Applicable Law in Matrimonial Matters. Brussels 17 July 2006, 2006, COM, 399 final.2006/0135 (CNS).
24. Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on jurisdiction, applicable law, recognition and enforcement of decisions and authentic instruments in matters of succession and the creation of a European Certificate of Succession, 2009, COM, 154 final.
25. The Hague Programme, adopted by the European Council on 5 November 2004, 2004, OJ, p 53, =3/03/2005, p. 1.
26. Commission on European Family Law, available at: http://www.ceflonline.net/(accessed 01 December 2010).
27. European Group on Tort Law, available at: http://civil.udg.edu/tort/ (accessed 01 December 2010).
28. Study Group on a European Civil Code, available at: http://www.sgecc.net (accessed 01 December 2010).
29. Behr, V. 2004, Europäisierung und Globalisierung des internationalen Zivilverfahrensrechts
durch die neuen EG-Verordnungen [Europeanization and globalization of international civil procedure law by the new EC regulations], Probleme der Angleichung des europäischen Rechts, Augsburger Rechtsstudien [Problems of harmonization of European law, Augsburg Legal Studies], Bd 1, p. 135.
30. Charter, D., Elliot, V. 2008, Reprieve for curvy cucumbers and crooked carrots as EU bends rules, The Times, November.
31. Geimer, R. 2002, Salut für die Verordnung (EG) N 44/2001 (Brüssel I-VO) [Salute to the Regulation (EC) No. 44/2001 (Brussels I Regulation)]. In: Praxis des Internationalen Privat- und Verfahrensrechts [Practice of international private and procedural law], p. 69.
32. Hallstein, W. Angleichung des Privat- und Prozessrechts in der Europäischen Wirtschaftsgemeinschaft [Alignment of private and procedural law in the European Economic Community], 1964, Rabels Zeitschrift für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht [Rabel Journal of Comparative and International Private
Law], no 28, p. 211.
33. Müller-Graff (ed.), 1993, Gemeinsames Privatrecht in der Europäischen Gemeinschaft [Common Law in the European Community], Baden-Baden, Nomos.
34. Schack, H. 1999, Die EG-Kommission auf dem Holzweg von Amsterdam [The EC Commission on the wrong track from Amsterdam], Zeitschrift für Europäisches Privatrecht [Journal of European Private Law], no 4, p. 805.
35. Taupitz, J. 1993, Europäische Privatrechtsvereinheitlichung heute und morgen [European Private Law Unification today and tomorrow], Tübingen.
36. Uerpmann-Wittzack, R., Edenharter, A. 2009, Subsidiaritätsklage als parlamentarisches
Minderheitsrecht [Subsidiarity action as a parliamentary minority right], Europarecht [European Law], no 3, p. 313.