The Amber Industry: Development Сhallenges and Combating Amber Trafficking in the Baltic Region
This article considers the current state and prospective development of the amber industry in the Baltic Sea region. The authors identify the main obstacles to the industry’s development in Russia — poor pricing mechanisms for raw amber, an imbalance between supply and demand, a slow pace of technological modernisation, and a delayed introduction of new technologies and processing techniques. The authors identify gaps in the regulatory framework and highlight problems of legal regulation and law enforcement as regards the amber industry. Combating illegal amber extraction and trafficking is a pressing problem in the Kaliningrad region (Russia) and other Baltic region states. The article explores theoretical aspects of the legislative policy on combating illegal amber extraction and trafficking. The authors focus on the relevant law enforcement practices and hold that administrative sanctions for unauthorised amber extraction and trade are not fully effective in Russia. The authors stress the need for introducing criminal liability for a repeated offence and outline opportunities for using forensic gemological examination of amber and amber products.
2. On the approval of the Strategy for the development of the amber industry of the Russian Federation for the period until 2025, the order of the Government of the Russian Federation of September 15, 2017 No. 1966-r. (in Russ.)
3. The list of strategically important goods and resources for the purposes of Article 226.1 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation, Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation of September 13, 2012 No. 923 (in Russ.)
4. Kuchin, О. S. 2003, Metodika rassledovaniya prestuplenii, svyazannykh s nezakonnym oborotom dragotsennykh metallov i dragotsennykh kamnei [Methodologyfor investigating crimes related to illicit trafficking in precious metals and precious stones], PhD thes., Vladivostok, 27 p. (in Russ.)
5. Shutova, V. N. 2007, Kriminologicheskaya kharakteristika posyagatel'stv na syr'evye resursy Vostochnoi Sibiri i ikh preduprezhdenie [Criminological characteristics of encroachments on raw materials of Eastern Siberia and their prevention], PhD thes., Irkutsk, 152 p. (in Russ.)
6. Maltov, S. N. 2006, Ugolovnaya otvetstvennost' za narusheniya zakonodatel'stva o dragotsennykh metallakh i dragotsennykh kamnyakh [Criminal liability for violations of the law on precious metals and precious stones], PhD thes., Krasnoyarsk, 24 p. (in Russ.)
7. Ivanov, A. G. 2010, Prestupleniya v sfere oborota dragotsennykh metallov i dragotsennykh kamnei [Crimes in the sphere of turnover of precious metals and precious stones], Khabarovsk, 215 p. (in Russ.)
8. Minenok, M. G., Minenok, M. M., Podgorny, N. A. 2013, Amber manufacture in Russia: criminological and criminally-legal aspects, Kriminologiya: vchera, segodnya, zavtra [Criminology: yesterday, today, tomorrow], no. 4, p. 56—67. (in Russ.)
9. Podgorny, N. A., Rener, N. A. 2010, Ugolovno-pravovaya otvetstvennost' za nezakonnyi oborot yantarya v Kaliningradskoi oblasti [Criminally-legal responsibility for illegal turnover of amber in the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, 139 p. (in Russ.)
10. Rener, N. A. 2016, Criminalistic characteristics of illicit trafficking in amber, Rossiiskii sledovatel' [Russian Investigator], no. 12, p. 5—7. (in Russ.)
11. Art. 7.5 "Unauthorized extraction of amber". Code of the Russian Federation on Administrative Offenses No. 195-FZ of December 30, 2001 (as amended on July 29, 2012) (as amended and supplemented, effective from 06.08.2017). (in Russ.)
12. About the statement of the Order of reference of unique amber formations to precious stones: The governmental order of the Russian Federation from 05.01.1999 N 8 (the editors from 16.12.2014). (in Russ.)
13. On precious metals and precious stones, the federal law of 26.03.1998 N 41-FZ (as amended on 18.07.2017). (in Russ.)
14. Kaliningrad policemen seized the camouflaged GAZ-66 from the black diggers of amber with a built-in pump, 2017, Press service of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia for the Kaliningrad region, available at: https://39.mvd.ru/news/item/10333569/ (accessed 10.10.2017). (in Russ.)
15. Case No. 5-346 / 2016 on an administrative offense under Art. 7.5. Administrative Code of the Russian Federation, Archive of the Baltic District Court of the Kaliningrad Region, 2016. (in Russ.)
16. Case No. 5—342 / 2016 on the administrative offense provided for in Part 1 of Article 20.25 of the Code of Administrative Offenses of the Russian Federation. Archive of the Baltic District Court of the Kaliningrad Region, 2016. (in Russ.)
17. Case No. 5—87—1М / 2017 on an administrative offense provided for by Part 1 of Article 20.25 of the Code of Administrative Offenses of the Russian Federation. Archive of the Baltic District Court of the Kaliningrad Region, 2017. (in Russ.)
18. Press service of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia for the Kaliningrad region, 2017, available at: https://39.mvd. ru/digest/item/10263900/ (accessed 10.10.2017). (in Russ.)
19. Administrative case No. 12-118 / 16, 12-129 / 16. Archive of the Zelenogradsky District Court of the Kaliningrad Region, 2016. (in Russ.)
20. On the approval of the list of specially protected natural areas of regional and local significance in the Kaliningrad Region [Electronic resource]: Order of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Ecology of the Kaliningrad Region of 10.02.2017 N 82. (in Russ.)
21. Malewski, H., Kurapka, V., Matulienė, S. Navickienė, Ž. 2016, Współpraca funkcjonariuszy organów ścigania ze specjalistami pionu kryminalistycznego. Diagnoza i możliwości usprawnienia (doświadczenia litewskie) Archiwum Medycyny Sądowej I Kryminologii, Archives of Forensic Medicine and Criminology, Vol. 66,no. 3, p. 182—210.
22. Malevski, G., Kurapka, V., Matulene, S. 2017, Judicial examination in Lithuania — is there a strategy of state criminalistic policy in this area? In: Naukovi pratsi Natsionanogo Universitetu [Naukovi praci Natsionalnogo University], T. XIX, Odessa, p. 326—335. (in Ukr.)
23. Amber was not allowed to go to Poland, 2016, the Administration of the Bagrationovsky urban district, available at: http://bagrationovsk.gov39.ru/about/info/news/10304/ (accessed 10.10.2017). (in Russ.)
24. EAOmedia Information Agency, 2016, available at: http://eaomedia.ru/ news/496174/ (accessed 10.10.2017). (in Russ.)
25. Erichson, U., Tomczyk, L. 1998, Die Staatliche Berstein-Manufactur Konigsberg. 1926—1945, Ribniz-Damgarten, p. 9.
26. Kushnirenko, S., Pristankov, V. 2017, Joint investigations: relevance, opportunities, prospects, XIII Kriminalistika ir teismo ekspertologija: mokslas, studijos, praktika. I dalis, Vilnius, p. 372—382. (in Russ.)
27. Volchetskaya, T. S. 2009, Criminal-procedural and criminalistic aspects of counteracting trafficking in beings. In: Combating organized crime: criminal-procedural and criminalistics aspects of combating trafficking in human beings, illegal drugs and arms trafficking, environmental crimes Materials of the International Conference. Materials of the International Conference dedicated to the 10th anniversary of the Department of Criminal Procedure, Criminalistics and Legal Informatics, Kaliningrad, p. 10—17. (in Russ.)
28. Kurapka, V., Malewski, H., Matulienė, S., Bilevičiūtė, E. 2017, Kriminalistikos vizija 2020 ir naujos įžvalgos dėl jos ateities, XIII Kriminalistika ir teismo ekspertologija: mokslas, studijos, praktika. I dalis, Vilnius, p. 31—45.