Baltic Factor in Russia-France Relations
The article aims to identify the role of the Baltic factor in Russia-France relations. Despite the fact that the Baltic Sea region (BSR) no longer plays an important role in Russia-France bilateral relations, the authors attach significance to analysing the dynamics and changes of the BSR role in European politics in the post- Napoleonic period. The authors compare the Russian and the July Monarchies (1830—1848) in the context of the current Vienna system of international relations. The article describes the role of the 1830—1831 uprising in Poland, which was an event of particular importance. The monarchies of the two countries had to take into account new social phenomena, which were more pronounced in France. After the suppression of the uprising in the Polish part of the Russian Empire, Polish emigrants residing in France became the stumbling block for the development of Russia- France relations. The article explores the role of P. de Barante, Ambassador of France to Russia and describes France and Russia’s trade and economic interests in the Baltic Sea region. The authors conclude that the specificity of Russia-France bilateral relations became more apparent during the First and Second World Wars. However, the Baltic factor has lost its relevance over time.
2. Degoev, V. V. 2004, Vneshnyaya politika Rossii i mezhdunarodnye sistemy: 1700—1918 gg. [Foreign policy of Russia and international systems: 1700—1918.], Moscow. (In Russ.)
3. Martens, F. F. 1909, Sobranie traktatov i konvencij, zaklyuchennyh Rossieyu s inostrannymi derzhavami, Т. 15, St. Petersburg. (In Russ.)
4. Milchina, V. A., Ospovat, A. L. 2008, Kommentarij k knige Astol'fa de Kyustina «Rossiya v 1839 god» [The comment to Astolphe de Custin's book "Russia in 1839"], St. Petersburg. (In Russ.)
5. Ratch, V. F. 1866, Pol'skaya `emigraciya do i vo vremya poslednego myatezha 1831—1863 g. Vil'na [The Polish emigration to and during the last mutiny 1831—1863 Mr. Vilna]. (In Russ.)
6. Tarle, Е. V. 1959, Krymskaya vojna [Crimean war], Moscow. (In Russ.)
7. Barante, P. de. 1875, Notes sur la Russie, Рaris, Michel Lévy frères.
8. Barante, P. de. 1893, Souvenirs du baron de Barante. 1782—1866, T. 5, Paris, Calmann Lévy.
9. Capefigue, J.-B. 1836, Le gouvernement de juillet, les partis et les hommes politiques. 1830 à 1835, T.2, Bruxelles, L. Hauman et Cie.
10. La Patrie, 1846, Journal politique, commercial, littéraire, judiciaire, 25 mars.