The Policy of Regional Convergence in Russia-Belarus integration: Prospects for Development
In a number of cases, integration of a large international region or an interstate union can only be promoted by political means. The policy of regional economic convergence prevails in many sectors. The single economic market and membership in economic and monetary unions give a new impetus to consolidation. The study aims to identify and explore the problems of political governance, which the Union State of Russia-Belarus faces due to their asymmetric and not completely compatible economies. The author analyzes the process of interstate convergence, considering it as an essential part of integration and explores a number of specific characteristics underlying the Russian-Belarusian economic integration. The author offers a set of criteria of convergence/not convergence of the states, describes the principles of their economic and political rapprochement and offers models of convergence as well as prerequisites for them. The article examines the principles that determine the participation of a country in international integration as well as prospects for the further development of the regional economic and political mechanisms, which are being formed
2. Lyukevich, I. N. 2011, World monetary system as a set of currency regions, Mezhdunarodnaya `ekonomika, no. 10, p. 67—81. (In Russ.)
3. Krasavina, L. N. 2014, Conceptual approaches to the problem of modernization of the international currency, credit, financial relations of Russia through the lens of modern world calls, Den'gi i kredit, no.10, p. 45—52. (In Russ.)
4. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus, 2016, available at: http://mfa.gov.by/export/ (accessed 13.08.2016). (In Russ.)
5. Portal of the external economic information, 2016, available at: http://www.ved.gov.ru/exportcountries/by/by_ru_relations/by_ru_trade/ (accessed 13.08.2016). (In Russ.)
6. Russia in figures 2016, 2016, available at: http://www.gks.ru/free_doc/doc_2016/rusfig/rus16.pdf (accesed 30.09.2016). (In Russ.)
7. Saks, J., Warner, E. 1995, Economic convergence and economic policy, Voprosy `ekonomiki, no.5, p. 13—38. (In Russ.)
8. Sokolava, N. V. 2010, Prospects of political integration at the former Soviet Union, Srednerusskij vestnik obschestvennyh` nauk, no. 1, p. 104—108. (In Russ.)
9. Sukharev, O. S. 2015, Economic trends and motives of development, Economist, no. 11. p. 25—38. (In Russ.)
10. Strezhneva, M. V. 2005, Integration and involvement as instruments of global managemen], Mezhdunarodnye process, Т. 3, no. 7, p. 17—28. (In Russ.)
11. Tarasov, I. N. 2004, Russia and the countries of Eastern Europe in the course of continental integration, Vlast', no. 7, p. 56—63. (In Russ.)
12. Chaplygin, V. G., Kozlowski, V. V. 2015, General-theoretical aspects of monetary integration in the conditions of the 6th information stage of megaeconomy and formation of regional currency areas, Vestnik Polockogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya D, `Ekonomicheskie i yuridicheskie, no. 13, p. 2—8. (In Russ.)
13. Balassa, B. 1961, The Theory of Economic Integration, Homewood, Illinois, Richard D. Irwin, Inc.
14. Chaplygin, V., Hughes Hallett, A., Richter, C. 2006, Monetary integration in the ex-Soviet Union: A 'union of four'? The Economics of Transition, Vol. 14, no. 1, p. 47—68.
15. Hughes Hallett, A., Martinez Oliva, J. C. 2013, The Importance of Trade and Capital Imbalances in the European Debt Crisis, Working Paper Series WP13—01, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
16. Lindberg, L. 1963, The Political Dynamics of European Economic Integration. Stanford, Calif., Stanford University Press.
17. Mundell, R. A., Swoboda, A. K. 1969, Monetary Problems of the International Economy, Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
18. Minford, P. 2016, Ignore Mandelson: We'd trade much better outside EU, The Times, March 04.
19. Perroux, F. 1948, Esquisse d’une theorie de l’economie dominante, Economie Appliquee, no.2—3.
20. Stop messing May: Economist demands PM pull UK out of EU IMMEDIATELY and Britain will BOOM, 2009, available at: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/696854/patrick-minford-brexit-economist-theresa-may-mark-carney (accessed 07.09.2009).
21. Tinbergen, J. 1969, Towards Balanced Economic Growth, Amsterdam, North-Holland publishing company.