Civil protection in the EU and its effect on the safety of the Baltic region
This article describes civil protection activities of the EU in the framework of the Community Civil Protection Mechanism — a system for coordinating civil protection resources and in-kind assistance to countries stricken by natural and manmade disasters. By analyzing the legislation and actual activation of the Mechanism, the authors present the functioning of this system as well as the ongoing changes towards a more planned approach to providing civil protection. The authors address the issue of extending the current civil protection system by introducing preventive measures. The project, co-financed by the by the Civil Protection Financial Instrument, is used as an example of the introduction of preventive measures in the Baltic Sea region.
2. The Report of the International Law Commission: Sixty-second Session, 2010, Chapter 7: Protection of persons in the event of disasters, 3 May-4 June 5 July-6 August 2010, p. 313—327.
3. Council Decision of 8 November 2007 establishing a Community Civil Protection Mechanism (recast), 2007, Official Journal of the European Union, Series L, no. 314, December 1.
4. Council Regulation of 11 November 2002 (2012/2002) establishing the European Union Solidarity Fund, 2002, Official Journal of the European Union, Series L, no. 311, November 14.
5. The Council Decision of 23 October 2001 establishing a Community mechanism to facilitate reinforced cooperation in civil protection assistance interventions, 2001, Official Journal of the European Union, Series L, no. 297, November 15.
6. The Joint Statement by the Council and the Representatives of the Governments of the Member States meeting within the Council, the European Parliament and the European Commission, 2008, C 25, Vol. 1, no. 3.
7. Council Decision of 5 March 2007 establishing a Civil Protection Financial Instrument, 2007, Official Journal of the European Union, Series L, no. 071, March 10.
8. EUBSR Flagship Project 14.3, available at: http://www.14point3.eu/tasks-2 (accessed 11 March 2013).
9. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions concerning the European Union Strategy in the Baltic Sea Region, 2009, COM, 0248, June 10.
10. The Treaty of Lisbon amending the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty establishing the European Community, 2007, Official Journal of the European Union, Series C, no. 306, December 17.
11. Internal Security Strategy for the European Union. Towards a European model of security, 2012, September, available at: http://www. consilium. europa. eu/ (accessed 17 December 2012).
12. The Stockholm Programme — An open and secure Europe serving and protecting the citizens, 2010, Official Journal of the European Union, Series C, no. 15, May 4.
13. Communication from the Commission — Draft Decision of the European Parliament and of the Council of the EU Civil Protection Mechanism, 2011, COM, no. 934, December 20.
14. Communication from the Commission — Towards a stronger European response in disaster: the role of civil protection and humanitarian assistance, 2010, COM, no. 600, October 26.
15. Communication from the Commission on a Community approach on the prevention of natural and man-made disasters, 2009, COM, no. 82, February 23.
16. Report from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council — Report on the evaluation of the use of the Civil Protection Mechanism and the Civil Protection Financial Instrument for the period 2007—2009, 2011, COM, no. 696, November 10.
17. Commission Staff Working Document — EU Host Nation Support Guidelines, 2012, SWD, no. 169, June 1.