The role of transit in the economy of Latvia
Transit is an important issue in the history of world economy, including the economy of Latvia. Transit makes a significant contribution to the budget of many transit countries, one of which is the Republic of Latvia. These countries do not have significant natural resources and prefer to focus on logistics and infrastructure in order to facilitate the transit process. This article focuses on the role of transit in the economy of Latvia, whose unique geographical position makes the country an effective transport corridor (bridge) in both the west-east and north-south directions. The article presents the results of an opinion poll conducted at Latvian transit enterprises regarding their future development and offers an overview of the main seaports and the Rīga international airport. The author examines the issue of Russia’s accession to the World Trade Organization and its impact on the Latvian transit, the prolongation of EU sanctions against Belarus, and the use of Latvian transport infrastructure for handling the non-military cargo traffic to/from Afghanistan. In conclusion, a forecast of possible transit development in Latvia is provided.
2. Zakon LR «O naloge na nedvizhimost'« [Law of the Republic of Lithuania «On Real Estate Tax»], 1997, no. 13.
3. Latvija horosho zarabatyvaet na tranzite v Afganistan [Latvia good money on transit to Afghanistan], 2012, Telegraf. lv, 4 May, available at: http://www. telegraf.lv/news/latviya-horosho-zarabatyvaet-na-tranzite-v-afganistan (accessed 11 February 2013).
4. Leonov, I. 2007, Tranzit razdiraet politika [Transit rips policy], Biznes&Baltija [Business & Baltics], no. 77 (3200), 23 April, available at:http://arhiv. bb. lv/index. php?p=1&i=3702&s=1&a=135998 (accessed 30 January 2013).
5. Vladimirov, S. 2012, Tranzitnyj biznes nametil orientiry [Transit business targets outlined], Biznes&Baltija [Business & Baltics], no. 89 (4341), 11 June, available at: http://arhiv. bb. lv/index. php?p=1 %20i=4464 %20s=%20a=162798&i=5125&s=1&a=186300 (accessed 30 January 2013).
6. Otrasl', otkryvajushhaja vorota mezhdu Evropoj i Vostokom [The branch, which opens the gate between Europe and the Orient], ZL. LV, available at:http://balticexportcom-statja. zl. lv/nozare-kas-atver-vartus-starp-eiropu-unaustrumiem/ (accessed 30 January 2013).
7. Iedzīvotāji — Galvenie rādītāji [Population — Key Indicators], 2013, Latvijas statistika mājas lapā [Latvijas statistika], 26.02.2013, available at: http://www.csb. gov. lv/statistikas-temas/iedzivotaji-galvenie-raditaji-30260.html (accessed 12 March 2013).
8. Rabotodateli: Latvija ot sankcij protiv Belarusi mozhet poterjat' polmilliarda evro [Employers: Latvia of sanctions against Belarus could lose half a billion euros], 2012, TUT. BY: Belorusskie i mirovye novosti: jekonomika, politika, kul'tura, sport [TUT. BY: Belarusian and world news: the economy, politics, culture, sports], 15 March, available at: news. tut. by/economics/279168.html (accessed 30 January 2013).
9. Pavuk, О. 2012, Obem tranzita mezhdu Belarus'ju i Latviej prevysil 33,8 mln.tonn [The volume of transit between Belarus and Latvia exceeded 33.8 million tons], Baltijskij kurs [Baltic Course], 10 February, available at: http://www. baltic-course.com/rus/good_for_business/?doc=52916 (accessed 30 January 2013).