The creation of a common EU energy market: a quiet revolution with far-reaching consequences
The article explores important changes in the EU energy structure and legislation. The authors examine the main stages of the creation of a common energy market in the EU. They analyse recent actions taken by the European Commission and the Court of Justice of the EU against its member states and energy monopolists who directly or indirectly breach the rules of competition in the energy sector. The authors come to the conclusion that liberalization of the European energy sector will eventually have serious theoretical and practical consequences for the EU, as well as third countries, including Russia.
2. Danwitz, T. 2006, Regulation and liberalization of the European electricity market — a German view, Energy law journal, Vol. 27:423, July 1, available at: 2006//http://www. felj. org/docs/423—450.pdf (accessed 17 January 2013).
3. Geradin, D. 2006, Twenty years of liberalization of network industries in the European Union: Where do we go now? Social Science Research Network, available at: http://papers. ssrn. com/sol3/papers. cfm?abstract_id=946796 (accessed 17 January 2013).
4. Stromback, J., Dromacque, C. and Yassin, M. 2011, The potential of smart meter enabled programs to increase energy and system efficiency: a mass pilot comparison, VaasaETT Global Energy Think Tank, available at: http://www. esmig.eu/press/filestor/empower-demand-report. pdf (accessed 17 January 2013).
5. Vasconcelos, J. 2009, Energy regulation in Europe: regulatory policies and politics of regulation, European review of energy markets, Vol. 3, no. 3, October, available at: http://www-55.mech. kuleuven. be/european-review-of-energymarket/EREM_9-_Comment_Jorge_Vasconcelos. pdf (accessed 17 January 2013).
6. Antimonopol'naja politika: Evropejskaja Komissija podtverzhdaet provedenie proverok bez preduprezhdenija v kompanijah gazovogo sektora [Competition policy: Commission confirms unannounced inspections in the natural gas sector companies], 2011, Delegation of the European Union to Russia, 28 September, available at: http://eeas. europa. eu/delegations/russia/press_corner/all_news/news/2011/20110929_ru. htm (accessed 19 January 2013).