On the possibility to adopt the historical practice of applying technologies for land fertility increase in Eastern Prussia at agricultural enterprises of the Kaliningrad region
This article considers the features of East Prussian land use system, whose crucial component was technologies for land fertility increase. A special package of measures in the framework of melioration and irrigation activities accounted for the high productivity of agriculture in this territory despite the fact that the local climate conditions can hardly be called perfect according to the well-known principles of agricultural science. The authors offer an overview of scientific approaches to the reconstruction and practical application of ideas and principles of progressive agriculture consistent with a more general area of organic agriculture. Special attention is paid to the modern agricultural practice in the territory of the Kaliningrad region — former East Prussia — and the possibilities to use the methods for increasing land fertility that were intensively employed by Prussians.
2. Kostyashov, Yu. V. 2010, Rossijskie rabochie v Vostochnoj Prussii v konce XIX — nachale XX veka [Russian workers in East Prussia in the late XIX — early XX century], Vestnik Rossijskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta im. I. Kanta [Vestnik
Immanuel Kant State University of Russia], no. 6, p. 148—154.
3. Lebedinskaja, T. 2010, Meliorativnoe hozjajstvo nuzhdaetsja v edinom upravlenii [Reclamation, agriculture needs to be a single management], Kaliningradskij agrarij [Kaliningrad Farmer], no. 20 (240), 15 Nov. 2010, available at:http://agrariy-39.ru/number/archiv/detail.php?ID =1018&sphrase_id=2224 (accessed
10 April 2012).
4. Podolinski, A. 2003, Vvedenie v biodinamicheskoe zemledelie [An introduction to biodynamic farming], Kaluga, «Duhovnoe poznanie», 212 p.
5. Pfeiffer, E. 1994, Plodorodie zemli, ego podderzhanie i obnovlenie [The fertility of the land, its maintenance and renewal], Kaluga, «Duhovnoe poznanie», 113 p.
6. Steiner, R. 1997, Duhovnonauchnye osnovy uspeshnogo razvitija sel'skogo hozjajstva [Spiritual-scientific basis for the successful development of agriculture], Moscow, 432 p.
7. The World of Organic Agriculture 2011, available at: http://www.organicworld.net/fileadmin/documents/yearbook/ 2011/world-of-organic-agriculture-2011-page-1—34.pdf (accessed 10 April 2012).